So much has happened this week! Last Monday was spent cleaning and reorganizing our trailer and it looks great! I’ll have to send some pictures next week. We had multi-Zone Conference this week which is basically where the leaders in the mission give us training. It was so good!!!! They focused on contacting, which I personally love. Contacting is when we go walking and talking to new people. It used to be something that I always had to push myself out of my comfort zone to do but now it comes naturally. Being a missionary is always going to be awkward, but you have to learn to love the awkward moments.
We also spent all of yesterday in Idyllwild, which we only go to every other week. They asked us to speak in sacrament and I was given the topic on repentance. Since I was second to speak, I ended up giving the talk for 25 minutes which was weird, since I grew up only give 5 minutes talks in sacrament meeting. I loved what I had learned about repentance while giving this talk.
The definition of repentance is to form a fresh view of God, yourself, and the world. Any sin is an action that pulls you away from God. God’s will for each of us is to inherit eternal life (2 Nephi 10:23) and as we repent we align our will with His. There are 6 steps that we as missionaries teach to people to help them repent:
- Recognize: We all sin daily so it will be a daily process.
- Stop: This is when the Godly sorrow vs. worldly sorrow comes into play. Godly sorrow leads us to repentance and worldly sorrow leads us to damnation or simply puts the stop of progression.
- Confess: Pray to the Lord for forgiveness. Any feeling that makes you feel unworthy to pray is from the adversary. Heavenly Father is always there to help you, if you just ask.
- Keep the Commandments: Turn to God when you make a mistake rather than the world. You were never meant to walk a lonely path.
- Acknowledge the Savior: It is only through Jesus Christ that allows us to repent. It all starts with faith and then the cycle starts over again.
I have learned a lot while studying this simple concept and I hope that we all continue on our path to grow closer to God through repentance.
Alma 36:24 in the Book of Mormon…”Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.”
We were also able to pick up six new investigators this week! Three in Anza and three in Idyllwild:
Nicole — A young mom who just finished college and lives with a less active. We taught her the restoration and she wanted us to come back.
Carol and Alexia — We helped them move in last week and they accepted to hear our message. Carol was hesitant to accept the invite to read the Book of Mormon, but hopefully she will.
Dorian — Works with famous athletes in helping them turn to God. We taught him the plan of salvation and he said that he will pray about it, which is great!
Norm and Sherri — We also taught them the restoration but they said they didn’t believe in the priesthood. They said that they want to know more and have committed to reading the pamphlet we left them.
It has been a great week! Sister Blanchard is a bomb missionary and we are getting a lot done! Hope you all have a great week!